Discover Our History
From our humble beginnings in 1949 to our first club function in 1951 through today, Hidden Valley Country Club is Southwest Virginia’s premier private golf and recreation club, steeped in tradition. For over 70 years, the goal has been to provide exceptional facilities and personalized service to our members.
1949 – 1951
HVCC, Inc. was organized under the Virginia State Corporation Commission Rules and By-Laws and incorporated on April 11, 1949. HVCC’s Charter Date is May 1949. HVCC was the vision of 26 men who began meeting in 1948 to discuss forming a new country club. They purchased a 269-acre tract known as the Musser Dairy Farm at a purchase price of $77,500, closing on October 25, 1949. Today’s course maintenance building is the former barn which was proposed as a horse stable with accompanying riding rings.
HVCC, Inc. began selling and issuing shares of stock in 1949, with an initial offering of 3,000 shares at $50 per share. HVCC Charter Members purchased stock by July 1949 and paid the $30/year dues for 1949.
The First Annual Meeting of the HVCC Stockholders was held on January 10, 1950, in the Appalachian Power Company office building auditorium on Franklin Road in Roanoke.
On May 15, 1950, a dinner was held at the Bradford Restaurant for the purpose of selling the remaining 905 shares of stock. The initiation fee in 1950 was $50.
In 1951, the Initiation Fee was $100, and Membership Dues were $100/year for someone owning 4 shares of stock. With no stock, the Initiation Fee was $150 and Membership Dues were $150/year.
1949 – 2007
In 1949, HVCC hired Golf Course Architect Dick Wilson to design an 18-hole golf course. Wilson’s course layout was approved by the HVCC Board in January 1950, and the first nine holes opened for play on October 24, 1951. The second nine holes opened in 1952. Guest Greens Fees were $3.00, and 18-hole Caddy Fees were $1.25/single and $1.00 each/double.
In 1951, HVCC hired its first Golf Professional, Johnny Golden, who came to HVCC from the Hermitage Country Club in Richmond, Virginia, where he had served as the assistant pro. In July 1955, Roanoke native Clyde Johnson succeeded Mr. Golden, coming to HVCC from the Cascades in Hot Springs, Virginia, where he had served as Head Pro for 6 years.
In 1951, HVCC received membership in the VSGA and USGA. W. Howard Wood, Club President, noted in his letter of application to the Virginia State Golf Association that “the membership is 400” and “the Club will operate a course of 18 holes or more.” The application for VSGA membership was approved on April 25, 1951, while HVCC was approved for membership in the United States Golf Association on April 18, 1951.
In 2005, HVCC engaged the services of Golf Course Architect Bill Love for a Golf Course Master Plan. In 2006, HVCC completed a major golf course renovation that included the rebuilding of greens and bunkers and some new tee boxes.
In 2007, HVCC constructed the Lamanca Learning Center, an indoor practice facility, through private funding and Club members’ donations. In 2013, the Ed Natt Memorial Scoreboard/Patio was constructed, funded by Ed Natt Memorial Golf Tournaments 2010, 2011, and 2013 and Club members’ purchases of personalized patio pavers.
1959 – 2019
In the early years of the Club, Club functions were held in the barn. A newly constructed clubhouse, including a cocktail lounge and dining room, opened on August 1, 1959. With the opening of the new Clubhouse, HVCC hired Mr. Roland Chartier as Club Manager.
Major clubhouse additions were constructed in the 1970s. Subsequent Clubhouse renovations occurred in 1999, 2004 (golf pro shop and clubhouse lobby and restrooms updated), 2005, and 2018-2019. Renovations to the Ladies’ Locker Room and Men’s Card Room were completed in 2011 through Club member donations. In ____, the Men’s Locker Room was renovated, including conversion to wood lockers, and the Fitness Center was constructed.
1952 – 1999
Our Swimming Pool
On May 1, 1952, HVCC completed construction of a swimming pool and pool building. The pool opened on May 30, 1952, with guest fees of $0.50. In 1999, the Club’s original pool was demolished and a new zero entry swimming pool and pool building were constructed.
1966 – 1992
The first outdoor tennis courts were constructed in 1966. They were located on the right side of the Club’s main entrance drive between Romar Road and the clubhouse. Indoor tennis courts were constructed in 1976. In 1984, the tennis parking lot and the 3 back clay courts were built. The two back hard courts were constructed in 1992.
50th Anniversary Celebration
In 1999, HVCC celebrated its 50th Anniversary with a dinner and recognition of Charter Members.
In November 2017, after 68 years as a Member-Owned Club, the Stockholders of HVCC Inc. approved the sale of the HVCC real property (property and improvements) to Hidden Valley Equity Group LLC. On June 1, 2018, Hidden Valley Equity Group closed on the purchase of the property and entered into a Lease Agreement with Links of Roanoke for Club operations.
1st Club Function (Member outing and open house at the Barn)
May 27, 1951
As golfers played their rounds when course first opened, they took bags to collect rocks and stones from the fairways
1951 – 1952
1st soft drink cooler on Club premises; 1st telephone installed in Pro Shop
1st hole-in-one recorded at HVCC. Mr. E. F. (Fitz) Jennings, an automobile insurance man, scored the ace on Hole #7 using a 5-Iron
1st Red & Blue Golf Tournament, with 140 participants
May 2, 1953
1st Women’s Activity Committee
March 24, 1954
1st signing of charge tickets and mail outs)
April 11, 1954
1st Grill workers and Locker Room attendants
June 25, 1954
Mailing of first Bulletins (August, December and April)
1st formal Dinner-Dance of HVCC Members held at Hotel Roanoke
Gene Johnson employed by HVCC as Caddy Master. Board authorized the purchase of 10 electric golf carts to be rented on a first-come first-serve basis.
HVCC celebrated its 50th anniversary with a dinner and recognition of Charter Members.